Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Vote on buttons


Pocket for my Ginny's Cardigan from the Unofficial Harry Potter Knits.


Nearly finished cardigan with the owl buttons.
A bit of background: I started spinning this yarn in July of 2012 on my Lendrum spinning wheel using the fast flyer to make a fine, thin yarn. I finished spinning the 8 oz of dyed Polwarth that I had purchased from Wildhare on Etsy during Spinzilla 2013. I plied it shortly after Spinzilla and started knitting Ginny's Cardigan from the Unofficial Harry Potter Knits 2013 on December 6, 2013.
On May 15, 2014, I had finished the cardigan through the yoke, buttonbands, pockets, and buttonbands. However, when I tried it on, I saw that the buttonbands needed more stitches per row to lay flat and that I had an uneven number of stitches on either side of the pattern on the back--making it skew to one side. I decided to frog it back to the beginning of the yoke to fix those mistakes. I still need to decide what buttons to use when I finish it--I have a number of great options. Maybe you can help me decide. I first thought it would be the owl buttons all the way (it is an owl cardigan afterall!), but I really am having a hard time deciding now that I've laid the buttons on the cloth. The owl buttons are a bit heavy (in weight and color).

The contenders: 
Vote on buttons in the comments!
1. Iris buttons from https://www.etsy.com/shop/RobertWGilmore.
2. Vine buttons purchased at Shuttles Spindles and Skeins, Boulder, CO.
3. Three crane buttons from https://www.etsy.com/shop/RobertWGilmore.
4. Owl buttons purchased at Shuttles, Spindles, and Skeins, Boulder, CO (no longer being made, sadly).
5. Snail buttons from https://www.etsy.com/shop/RobertWGilmore.
6. Green leaf buttons purchased at Shuttles, Spindles, and Skeins, Boulder, CO.




1 comment:

Robin said...

The flow and colors in the knitting make me think of sky and trees, so I'm inclined toward the green leaf buttons. The metallic look to the other buttons seems harsh against the delicate colors in the yarn.

BTW, I just sent you an email, but I'm not sure it's a current email address. If you didn't get a message from me, will you let me know: robin[at]robinatkins[dot]com... Thanks!