Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Transitions

Hannah was helping me last night with the scarf for the Red Project--due today. I've been knitting on it all weekend, but every time I measure I still have 10 inches to go--how is that possible?
Hannah had a lot of fun pulling the skein apart and holding onto the strand that I was knitting from.
Kelly (my dear husband--and I really mean that)--had to insist that the transition I made between the Brown Sheep wool yarn from my stash and the yarn I found to finish the scarf at the Recycled Lamb (Ogedifra Fashion Trend--51% wool, 49% acrylic) was obvious. He implied this with raised eyebrows and statements about the colors being different and didn't seem convinced by my argument that I had blended the colors for several rows by alternating the new yarn with the old yarn and that the new yarn had natural color transitions in it. I didn't point out to him that they have different fiber contents--so if it is washed vigoriously one side will shrink while the other will not--as it seemed he didn't need more fuel on his side of the discussion. I think it looks nice and none of the things happened that I was worried about--like the new yarn needing to be knit on different needles or bulging slightly where they joined--it actually is the same size scarf on either side of the transition. And it meant I didn't have to start again from scratch when I realized I wasn't going to have enough yarn to finish the project. Since he is also a perfectionist when it comes to things that matter (like the new garage door he installed a couple weeks ago), I think I'll let it go. After all, the scarf isn't for him and let's hope that the kid who gets it is just pleased with it and happy with the color transition and never washes it (I'll put washing instructions with it--don't worry). Posted by Picasa

No comments: