Monday, January 19, 2009

This is what I get for feeling so clever


As a reward for finally finishing my dad's sweater, I'm making myself a hat. I chose this one. I read on Ravelry that some versions were coming out a little bigger than expected--so I followed the gauge for a smaller hat. I do have a head that measures on the larger side of things. Yep, 22 1/2 inches--this is usually the last size on hat charts for women.


I spun one singles from this lovely Bluefaced Leicester from Dragonfibers on etsy and the other singles from Bonkers Handmade Originals Tencel/Merino that I bought at the Estes Park Wool Market this summer.

I was feeling clever because I had not only figured out how to do entrelac, but I was also knitting backwards to make it go faster. All weekend I was wishing that someone who knew a thing or two about knitting would stop by and notice that I was knitting backwards. But sadly, no one noticed. And even when I pointed it out, they didn't seem too impressed.
And, since I was knitting from singles, I had devised a portable lazy kate to hold a single bobbin. This is apparently too much cleverness for one person.


So this is what I get for feeling so clever.

Options at this point:
1. Start over.
2. Keep going and finish, then full it until it is the right size.
3. Make it into a bag.

2 comments:

Mary Timme said...

Oh, Amy,

Even for you the hat is too big. I have a sweater like that! Same box or basket weave, too. I could get a small shetland under that sweater with me! You need two heads or really full the life right out of it!

Reverend Jeannine Bakriges said...

Oh my gosh, Amy, I know exactly what it feels like to feel quite clever and find that what I've made just isn't going to fit any human, at least not without some major tweaking. I usually say it in this way...the minute I get cocky I fall right down on my bum. Once, I made a hat that AFTER I was done felting it (and it wasn't made to be felted in the first place), it was not only still humongous but would have been a good choice to be considered for steel-hard, water-holding bucket.
Your hat looks lovely and thankfully usable after felting. Yay!